Saturday, February 24, 2007

Just part of being a mom

Thursday night I stayed up practically all night with kids. Abram stumbled into our room at about 11:40 p.m. (only about an hour after I had gone to sleep). I noticed a light coming from the hallway and assumed he had turned on the bathroom light. Well, when I got there I saw that he had actually turned on his bedroom light. Now, Abram just about sleepwalks. I can't say for sure that he does, but he often doesn't remember getting up by the next morning. Anyway, he had pulled everything off the bed except the fitted sheet (thankfully!) and dragged it across the floor. He also had pulled up the blinds on his window, which I had to fight with for about a minute to get back down. Poor Saul was sitting up in his bed wondering what had happened and why the light was on. I sent Abram to the bathroom and proceeded to make the bed again. After I finally got them settled back in for the night, I returned to bed. Less than an hour later, Saul came out needing to use the restroom. Okay. Less than an hour after that, he came out again saying he needed a drink because his throat was dry. After putting him to bed that time, I decided it would be a good time to run the dishwasher. *There is enough hot water in the middle of the night and it doesn't affect baths or clothes-washing.* I went back to bed and not much later, Saul came in crying that his ear hurt. I realized then that I needed to give up the idea of actually getting any sleep. By that time, it was somewhere around 3:oo a.m. I tried laying down with him in his bed, but he kept whining and tossing and turning. So then we tried the rocker. While I rocked him, he just couldn't get comfortable at all. He simply did not feel good. Around 3:30 a.m. I heard the girls talking in their room. I went to investigate and they walked out saying that Esther needed to potty. I sent Naomi to bed and tended to Esther. I got them back in bed and asked Saul if he wanted to try the couch. We tried that but it didn't work very well. Finally, at 5:10 a.m. we went to my bed. I figured it would be alright if we woke up Chad at this time because he was about to get up anyway. And I was exhausted! I just wanted to lay down on my own pillow! Chad later told me that Saul did flop around for a little while but then fell into a deep sleep. We slept until about 6:30 a.m. thankfully. Saul said that his ear was still bothering him, but he never felt feverish to me during the night only uncomfortable, which was good. After he ate breakfast, he ran outside to play with Abram, never showing any signs of pain or illness since. I was glad but didn't recover as quickly. I think after my two-hour nap today I may have finally recovered. What I did realize though last night(the night after) was that my prayers had been answered. I had prayed as I had cared for Saul all that night that God would heal him- and He did! After a whole night of feeling bad, Saul was as if nothing ever happened by the end of breakfast. It was a miracle. Really neat to see in hindsight. He never even showed any signs of suffering from missing out on a night of sleep! Praise be to God!

Other than that, things have been the norm around here. Later!

1 comment:

janjanmom said...

Praise God that you are thankful and that you noticed instead of just being crabby and morose.