Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I read an interview with Katie Couric in Reader's Digest yesterday. In the past she has said some things that I didn't like, but I thought I would give it another try and see what she had to say. Well, when asked if she thought it was important to give her girls two parents (her husband died of colon cancer in 1998), she replied in the answer "You don't need a traditional family to raise a child with a sense of security." That is true, but it helps don't you think. What I didn't like this time is that she went on to say, "Of course, father-daughter night at school drives me crazy because I think it is so grossly insensitive." (Emphasis mine.) When I think of her sharing her opinion with millions of viewers every night, I cringe. To say that a school is insensitive to celebrate the father-daughter relationship on account of the families who have lost the father or never had one is unfair. She also made a slam against marriage in my opinion. Just in her tone, really; nothing that she said in particular. Anyway, read the article if you want. It is in the February 2007 issue. I just wanted to air my grievances.

No comments: